Check out Polly's Autism Awareness Campaign 2010 on Facebook and follow Polly on Twitter

Tuesday 30 March 2010

Today continues with much press interest and so many more of your emails coming in. Keep checking www.theautismtrust.org.uk for more comments. Nick Clegg wrote me a letter, I'll get Natalie to scan it in tomorrow so you can all see what he has written. Before you all go nuts about the content, I have written back to give him another chance, we just need to educate him so much more. Gordon Brown has had a year of us trying to do that, he is at an advantage. I am slightly confused at David Cameron's lack of response. We rang his office again and were told 'Did we know that he is very busy at the moment'. Not good enough David!

Someone sent me an email saying that I shouldn't promote the work of smaller charities, we should all work under the National Autistic Society. Let me explain my reasons behind my comment on GMTV about the government supporting the smaller charities. The spectrum as we know is huge with many different levels of autism and Asperger's , I don't believe one charity can deliver to all. There are so many important charities around the country doing valuable work that will make such a difference. Girls on the Spectrum and Kevin Healy's Aspergers Adult charity to name a couple. All are vital and should be supported. By doing this we will attempt to help all people on the autism spectrum.
Downing Street are still working on their offer to us and Nick Clegg gets a second chance, come on David... don't let us or yourself down. Autism matters.

1 comment:

  1. Polly like yourself i have campaigned for the last 10 years for better services for Autism, and believe me like yourself i still feel like I’m banging my head against a brick wall ? Why? Because the Government put Autism at the bottom of the Agenda.
    Who will I vote for? I guess none of the party’s because like yourself they don’t simply listen to parents and most of all people like myself with Autism.
    Children like your son Billy will grow up to be an Adult and that’s when the mayor issues start, even though with the Autism ACT will local Authorities ACT upon this providing better services for Adults, services such as Diagnosing Adults is chronic to say the least. I even know adults who have had there care packages taken away from them etc or can’t get the correct support.
    All Autism Charities work with their own Agendas and it’s so important that the Government take full notice and fund and support the local charity’s that work at the heart of Grassroots level, but they don’t, they chose to fund the goliaths of the National Charity’s were the David’s of the smaller charity’s suffer.
    Again it’s that time of year were WAAD (World Autism Awareness Day) comes but the leaders still don’t get it!
    Polly I applaud you for your Drive and determination, but should we have to keep fighting like this? Constant lobbying? Campaigning? Addressing local Authorities? ETC ETC....
    I have had friends who have AS COMMITTED SUICIDE because they just can’t cope with the system! How longer does this go on for and how many more friends will i lose, because they don’t get the correct care support or appropriate services.
    I still can’t believe that our leader Gordon Brown and Alan Johnson still subject Garry McKinnon to this cruel torture i can’t believe that our government has not intervene and none of the party’s don’t support Gary and his family they have gone through 7 years of hell! And a sentence already.
    You and i remember quite clearly when we went to downing street for the “AUTISM PARTNERSHIP WORKING MEETING” what has happened, since then..... i will answer that NOTHING, what a waste of time, and money.

    Kevin Healey
    Chairman SAAS www.saas.uk.com

    ReplyDelete